Self Drive - North Trail Through Santander
|8 days and 7 nights|
Spain (Bilbao, Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, Santander)
Day 1: ARRIVAL SANTANDER - BILBAO (100Km - 1h 20)
Collect your car upon arrival at the airport by heading to the Arrival hall and meeting an OK Rent a Car representative. Then climb into what will be your mode of transportation for this holiday and drive to your first hotel accommodation in Bilbao.
Overnight in Bilbao.
Day 2: BILBAO
Enjoy breakfast at the hotel before you explore Bilbao. Although the capital of the autonomous region of Euskadi – also known as the Basque Country – in Vitoria, the port city of Bilbao is, in fact, the largest of all Basque cities. The renewal of this industrial city has been continuous since the opening of the Guggenheim Museum in 1997, with various projects designed by famous architects, including a new tram system, a subway system designed by Sir Norman Foster, a pedestrian bridge, the Zubizuri bridge by Santiago Calatrava, a jagged glass-fronted public health building, and the reconversion following the indications of well-known designer Philippe Starck of a disused warehouse turned into a public multifunction building, the Alhóndiga.
Overnight in Bilbao.
Day 3: BILBAO - SAN SEBASTIÁN - PAMPLONA (185Km - 2h 30)
After breakfast at the hotel, hop into your car and drive to San Sebastian. Continue to the seaside cosmopolitan city of San Sebastian and explore this fabulous city. Enjoy a stroll down the promenade at La Concha beach to the sculpture named ‘El Peine del Viento’ from renowned artist Eduardo Chillida. Take the funicular up to the top of Igueldo hill for a panoramic view over the city (not included) and try the famous Basque “pintxos” (tapas/snacks) in one of the many bars in the old town. In the afternoon, continue to Pamplona, where you will spend the night.
Overnight in Pamplona
Day 4: PAMPLONA - LOGROÑO (100 Km – 1h 30)
Wake up to breakfast at the hotel before heading out to explore the city of Pamplona. Visit the elegant Neoclassical cathedral Royal Saint Mary. Stroll through the Citadel Park, then follow the route that the bulls run along during the world-famous San Fermin festival and have a drink at the classy Café Iruña. Then it’s back into the car and continue towards Logroño, capital of the wine-producing region of La Rioja. En route, make a stop at the small town of Puente de la Reina and also at Estella, both of which are on the mystical pilgrimage trek known as the Way of St. James. Spend the night at Logroño.
Overnight in Logroño.
Day 5: LOGROÑO
After breakfast at the hotel, step out into the streets of Logroño and go discover its monumental legacy by losing yourself through its charming old town. This city that embraces the banks of the river Ebro has historically been a stop-by location, being at the crossroads of many important routes. While you’re at it, head out to explore the gorgeous wine country of La Rioja. Drive up to the hilltop town of Laguardia and visit one of its famous bodegas, some of which boast spectacular architecture, around Elciego or Haro.
Overnight in Logroño.
Day 6: LOGROÑO - BURGOS (130 Km – 1h 30min)
After breakfast at your hotel, depart towards Burgos. Learn about the city’s fascinating history as you stroll through the winding streets and alleys of the old quarter, which lies in the shadow of a magnificent hilltop castle. Dedicate some time to admiring its stunning Gothic cathedral, a Unesco-listed World Heritage Site. Make your way to the city’s eastern outskirts and pay a visit to the Miraflores Charterhouse, a wonderfully-preserved Gothic monastery belonging to the Carthusian order, which hosts a priceless collection of religious artefacts.
Overnight in Burgos.
Day 7: BURGOS - SANTANDER (180 Km – 2h)
Eat up your breakfast at the hotel to replenish your energy for a drive back to Santander. Santander is, without a doubt, one of the most elegant and beautiful cities on the northern coast of Spain. Both the sea and the mountains are continually present in this city, captivating you with its aristocratic atmosphere, 19th-century buildings, charming outdoor terraces and spectacular bay – considered one of the most beautiful bays in the world! There are several beaches and harbours on the northern side of the city and a charming old quarter. In the 19th century, the city used to be a renowned tourist resort for Spanish politicians, aristocrats and other members of the upper class. The city still contains wonderful palaces and promenades, bay-type architecture with white buildings, old cafés and a famous casino.
Overnight in Santander.
Day 8: DEPARTURE SANTANDER
Bid farewell to Santander after breakfast at the hotel and drive back to airport to drop off the car. You'll be told the return procedure and exact designated area by a Rent a Car Company when you pick up the car on arrival day. The Rent a Car company shuttle service will transfer you to the terminal for you to catch your departure flight back home.
- 7 nights' accommodation
- 7 breakfasts
- Transportation for the departure transfer on a shared basis, from the car rental company offices to Santander Airport.
- Selected car rental category as per days mentioned in the itinerary
- Applicable local taxes (VAT)
- Unlimited mileage
- 24h road assistance
- Full-Full petrol rate (When you pick your car up, the fuel tank will be full or partly full. You will be charged the cost of the fuel: Before you return your car, please replace the fuel you’ve used)
- All-inclusive insurance: Wheel and windscreen (CGT), Road assistance 24 hour telephone service, Vehicle theft (TP); Personal accident insurance (P.A.I) .
- Meet & Greet on day 1
- Items of a personal nature such as alcoholic drinks, laundry, drinks and meals not stated explicitly in the program
- Any others expenses which are not mentioned in the included section
- National or International flights
- All types of insurance (except mentioned rent-a-car insurance)
- Entry visas to Spain and Gibraltar (if applicable)
- Entrance tickets to any venue, museum or activity
NOT INCLUDED IN CAR HIRE:
- Damage to a third party or to the hire vehicle due to negligence or inappropriate driving.
- Loss or damage to aerials, jack, safety triangles and vests, windscreen wipers, petrol cap, luggage covers, or any other fixed or mobile component of the vehicle.
- Damage to the engine through negligence.
- Theft of the vehicle with keys left in the ignition.
- Damage caused to the vehicle or to persons through driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Fines due to breaking traffic laws and regulations during the hire period are the responsibility of the driver of the vehicle. In the event of a fine being received there will be an administration charge.
- If the car is left outside of rent a car designated area on drop off, customers will be responsible for any costs generated and for any damage to the vehicle due to it being parked outside of the Rent a Car installation.
- Each additional driver fee
- Any extra equipment (GPS, baby seat etc)
- No insurance cover in Gibraltar.